Louis D. Quin, born in Charleston, SC, received a B. S. degree from The Citadel (1947), and M.A. (1949) and Ph. D. (1952) degrees from the University of North Carolina. After a period of industrial research and service in the U.S. Army Chemical Corps (First Lieutenant), he joined the Chemistry faculty of Duke University in 1956, serving as Chairman (1970-1976) and becoming a James B. Duke Professor. He retired in 1986 and became Head of the Chemistry Dept. at the University of Massachusetts, retiring in 1996. He later was appointed Distinguished Visiting Professor at the University of North Carolina-Wilmington, and is presently Adjunct Professor. He is author or co-editor of nine books on organophosphorus chemistry and over 250 research publications. He was appointed Fellow of the American Chemical Society and of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and, among other recognitions, received in 1997 the first International Arbuzovs Award of the Russian Academy of Sciences for work in phosphorus chemistry.